Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Metric Nut

For those of you who know me intimately, you know that about 10 years ago I formed a heavy rock band with 4 other guys called Metric Nut. It was really just an excuse to get together and turn our amplifiers up to a ridiculous level and play some of our favorite cover songs like "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Metallica, "Man In the Box" by Alice in Chains or "Killing in the Name Of" by Rage Against the Machine. But eventually, we decided to create some original music and take the show on the road. We started out and we sucked but as our experience grew, so did our writing & playing skills.

At the time I left the band we had wrote about 24 songs, recorded 2 demo albums and a full length album in a professional studio. We played over 50 shows throughout New Orleans, Baton Rouge & Lafayette, and actually after I left they began to tour the east coast before things fell apart for them. We built up a pretty decent fan base in NOLA, having played to crowds of a couple of hundred people a few times at our peak there but many shows we played to about 50, which is about average for a rock club.

Anyway, all of this to say, I got a phone call last week telling me that Saturday night they were putting together a reunion show for Metric Nut. They set up a headlining spot for us at a local rock club to play all our old stuff and hang out and catch up with all our old fans. I initially didn't want to because its not my thing anymore but they mentioned everyone had said yes to this point and I figured I wouldn't be a party pooper. So I accepted, dusted off my Gibson Explorer and Peavey Classic 50 amplifier and met everybody for a practice session and showed up on Sat nite for the gig.

It was a blast! I caught up with a lot of great old friends I had lost touch with over the years, some changed, some haven't changed a bit in 8 years. Got up on stage and played pretty good, although my hand was KILLING me during the set because I don't play the same kind of music on guitar anymore so my hands were OUT OF SHAPE, like other parts of me. But had a blast, it was great to see everybody again and play all the old hits again.

Looking back at my experience in the band, it really was a fun 4 years for me but it had its highs and lows too. My experience with that band really was necessary for me to find out who I was and where I needed to be as a person and ultimately a follower of God again. It was a crossroads for me and one that I believe led me to maturity as a man and a renewed committment to God.

This reunion show experience has led me to think back to a message my pastor Phil did a while ago talking about remembering wonderful times in your life and the importance of "taking the picture", drawing what you can from the experience and then moving on in life and not remaning there emotionally. Sometimes its sad to see people remaining at that point in their lives as if thats it, the best has happened and I saw that on Saturday night with some people.

I truly believe I've moved on from that moment because it wasn't a sad night for me when it was over. It was a fun night because I remembered what it was like, celebrated it, took a picture, and then COULDN'T WAIT to get back home to enjoy my life with my wife and kids. I truly love my life and wouldn't want to be anywhere else other than here and now!

* The pic above is from the last photo shoot the band did together. Regretably, I could not find some of our older photo shoot pics (that I was in) digitally but if you want pics of the band when I was in it, live or photo shoot, I think I have some prints at home, just let me know.

** Left to Right - Mark Walker (Lead Guitar), Jeremy Sevens (Bass), Brett Winter (Vocals), Judge "Brian" Doom (Rhythm Guitar), Woody (Drums). Past members not pictured: Roger Wilder (Drums), Jason Armand (Rhythm Guitar)

\m/

1 Comments:

Blogger curia_regis said...

I'm glad that you enjoyed the reunion tour. I know that you can "never go home again", but I bet this was well worth going to, even reflecting a few weeks down the road.

I, as your friend and fan, am glad you decided to attend this gig, I just wish I could have made it...

Maybe next tour...

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home